Giles County Historical Society
Giles County Historical Society is the home to a variety of resources
available to the public. Headquartered on the property of the
Andrew Johnston house in Pearisburg, Virginia, the Giles County
Historical Society offers a museum, research center, gift shop,
doctor's office, and the Andrew
house itself, which, being built in 1829, is believed to be the
oldest brick home in Giles County.
the Andrew Johnston House has much to offer. For four days
during the Civil War (May 6-10, 1862), the 23rd Ohio
Regiment of the Union army used Dr. Johnston's office (built
about 1857) as headquarters. The Regiment was commanded by Colonel
Rutherford B. Hayes and Major William B. McKinley, who went on
to become our nation's 19th and 25th presidents, respectively.
A Presbyterian Church across the street served as a commissary.
At 4:00 AM the morning of May 10, 1862, Confederate troops led
by General Heth took the Union troops by surprise in the Battle
of Pearisburg. Two men from each side were killed and several
others were injured. Many of these were treated in the 1836 Courthouse
which served as a hospital. Five Confederate soldiers are buried
in the Angel's Rest Cemetery nearby.