About Us   Visit Us   Event Calendar   Initiatives   History   Disaster Support  


Blacksburg MuseumCambria DepotChristiansburg Institute, Christiansburg, VACoal Mining Heritage Park, Merrimac, VA
Floyd County Historical SocietyGiles County Historical SocietyGlencoe Museum, Radford, VAHistoric Smithfield Plantation, Blacksburg, VAMontgomery Museum & Lewis Miller Regional Art CenterRaymond F. Ratcliffe Memorial Museum
VT Museum of GeoscienceWilderness Road Regional Museum

 

 

Christiansburg Institute

Today’s Christiansburg Institute, Inc. is located on the south side of Scattergood Drive, just off North Franklin Street, near downtown Christiansburg, Virginia. Currently undergoing revitalization, this 4.4 acre site revives its 22 building, 185 acre, 100 year-old predecessor through restored buildings, historical building footprints and a new building incorporating historic features and community service. The revitalization project, initiated by the historic school’s alumni association is a work in progress. This $5.9 million revitalization will bring to the public the restored Virginia Landmark and National Registry listed 1927 Edgar A. Long Building, the 1924 Historic Trades Building, a new Trades Learning Center, and a replica of the 1902 Smokehouse. Additionally, the site will hold signed footprints of the historic campus: a former plantation house and two of its slave cabins; the 1910 Baily Morris Hall and the 1902 Morris Hall.

Christiansburg Institute (Andy Morikawa, 2005)The 100-year old history will come alive through the CI Museum and Archive, a vital component of the revitalization and service programs. While the 1966 public action to close the school with the advent of full desegregation in Virginia initiated near destruction, the documentation of its outstanding history and living alumni provide a remarkable repository to serve its revival. The historic school will come alive through actual restoration; permanent and changing exhibits, a virtual historic campus tour and an archive of more than 4000 original documents and photographs as well actual and virtual secondary sources such as Friends Historical Library, Swarthmore University, Library of Congress, Tuskegee Institute, Virginia State University, Virginia State Department of Education, Library of Virginia, National Archives and Record Administration and local universities. Oral histories of CI students and faculty are a significant element in the on-going archive program with collection initiated by the alumni association in the 1980’s, is on-going and will continue until the opportunity to collect has been collected.

1. Edgar A. Long Building.
2. Photo courtesy Andy Morikawa.

 

 


Christiansburg Institute is not yet open to the public. Visits may be arranged through the Christiansburg Institute, Inc. office.

Address
P.O. Box 433
Christiansburg, Virginia 24068


Contact
Gladys Sokolow, Interim Executive Director
540.394.5001


Click to E-Mail

Go to Website

We use TeamLab Online Office   Contact Us   ©2006-2013